A Day of Fund Raising for Anaphylaxis UK in Our Little Primary School






 I have never fundraised for anything before.

I have contributed to many charities over the years, but none has ever felt as closely connected to my family’s needs as Anaphylaxis UK does right now.

I have a five-year-old son who has lived with severe allergies since he was a baby. The days we spent waiting to discover exactly what could harm, or even kill, him were incredibly difficult.

Hospital stays for various reasons, diagnoses of autoimmune conditions, discussions about immunotherapy, and sheer exhaustion have all become part of our everyday lives.

And yet, life goes on.

Although Fred is at the centre of it all, we try to live as normally as possible.

We laugh at stupid jokes.

We cry over our losses.

We get up every day and try to see the gift that a new morning brings. Sometimes, not knowing what might happen allows us to notice the beauty in a world that can also be abundant with suffering.

There are still so many beautiful things. So many treasures, moments of happiness, and unexpected joys that make this life worth living.

Today, Fred’s little primary school held a fundraiser so that they can invite Anaphylaxis UK to train all their staff. The training will not only support the adults in the school but will also teach the children how to recognise the signs of a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction.

This training is vital.

The next generation is learning, and we are their teachers.

I can already see an enormous difference in the way parents’ attitudes have changed over the past twenty years. My oldest child is now twenty-three, and during his school days, anything considered too personal was often dismissed. Allergies were not taken as seriously then. Concerns were sometimes met with an eye roll or a comment about the child eventually growing out of them.

Thankfully, this is no longer the case.

The mums in Fred’s class care. They listen. They ask questions. They are showing that a group of parents who support one another, educate themselves, and teach their children to care could one day help to save a life.

I have been overwhelmed by their generosity, not only in the money they have helped to raise, but in their time, effort, emotional support, and willingness to educate their children about something that could, quite literally, save my son’s life one day. They didn't have to, but they wanted to help.

Today was a success, and I hope there will be many more opportunities for me to speak openly about the reality of living with severe allergies.

It means constantly having to consider the unimaginable.

It means trying to remain standing on the days when you feel as though you might crumble.

But today, while I spoke honestly about how difficult life can sometimes be, I felt the hands of those beautiful mums holding me up.

That is the feeling I want to remember during the darker days.

I am not alone.

And neither is little Fred.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stickers, Police Horses, Inspiring Commissioner and a Spectacularly Broken Umbrella

When Capital Law Serra inspired me...