Last Week of Lectures: Decisions, Doubts… and Free Coffee
The last two days felt like a dream.
Fast, vivid… and slightly incoherent, like one of those dreams where you’re late for something but don’t know what.
Yesterday was the pathway double lecture. Every module tutor came in, proudly presenting their subject like it was the best thing since sliced bread (and to be fair, some of them almost convinced me). We were told what was essential, what was optional… and what would likely break us.
Being part-time, I still have ten modules to go.
Ten.
Somewhere between “core” and “optional,” I had that familiar thought: the end is still very, very far away…
Naturally, my brain did what it does best, spiral productively.
Could I do it in two years instead of three?
Would I survive the workload?
Would my family still recognise me?
The answer remains… unclear.
So, in a moment of bold optimism (or mild panic), I booked a meeting with our course leader. Because three years ago, I would never have imagined being this far into a law degree, let alone being told I could not only do it… but do it well.
And let’s be honest, when you’re a grown adult, being told “you’re doing well” usually comes with either a patronising smile… or a hint of sarcasm.
So this? This felt different. Real.
While daydreaming about walking across that stage, graceful, composed, probably not tripping, I was brought back down to earth by the next challenge:
Learning Through the Workplace litter picking duty.
My initial reaction?
Absolutely not.
I have given hours, years, to volunteering, unpaid work, giving my time and expertise… and this one felt like a step too far for a mature student with a to-do list longer than the M4.
But… my “uni girl” (fresh out of wisdom teeth surgery, still smiling, heroic, really) was up for it. So I agreed.
And actually?
It was… lovely.
An hour of fresh air, a proper catch-up, laughter, serious chats, future planning, life reflections… and yes, a bit of litter picking too (we did contribute, just not world-changing levels).
I left feeling lighter. Sometimes it’s not about the task, it’s about the moment.
The afternoon ended with a session on group work and how to manage reluctant participants.
I mentally noted: useful for both university… and family life.
I went to bed exhausted.
---
This morning? Chaos.
School runs. Traffic. Coffee dependency levels rising.
I arrived on campus, on the last day of lectures, ready to wrap up Year 2… only to discover:
There were no lectures.
None.
I had, quite literally, come in for vibes.
But the universe, as always, had other plans.
First: free coffee. (Nine stamps later, small wins matter.)
Then: characters.
Enter Portuguese Mama, eccentric, brilliant, over 70, and studying law with more energy than most of us combined. She spotted me across the café like we were in a film and waved me over. What followed was a masterclass in life stories, honesty, and the kind of perspective you simply cannot teach.
Absolute enrichment.
Then I met Hannah to talk about modules. While waiting, I spoke with the Land Law and Equity tutor, who very honestly explained how challenging his module is.
His reassurance that I would be fine… was not reassuring.
I felt fear.
But Hannah, calm, grounded, and exactly what I needed, reset everything.
I can do this.
Not just do it… but do it well.
That little voice of doubt? It needs to quiet down now. Because if anyone is capable… I am.
And that realisation brought a kind of joy I can’t quite describe.
Walking out of her office, I felt clearer than ever:
My future is in law. In research. In trusting my own mind and finally proving wrong all the voices that once said I couldn’t.
And then… the best part of the day.
My uni girl finished her Law on Trial review, and since neither of us had to run off immediately to collect children (a rare and precious window), we sat down for a chat.
You know in Hamilton, when it talks about meeting someone on the same mental level, where understanding goes beyond words?
That.
We laughed. We got each other. There was this unspoken sense that law brought us together… but maybe that’s not the only reason we’re meant to cross paths.
Our friendship has grown into something easy. Real.
A space where we can just be and know the other feels it too.
So… that’s the end of another year.
A year of doubts, growth, exhaustion, unexpected joy, and a lot of coffee.
And for once, instead of wondering if I’ll make it…
I’m actually looking forward to what comes next.

Comments
Post a Comment