The End of My Placement....
Today marked the end of my placement at the USW Legal Department, and my exit meeting with Tara felt wonderfully bittersweet.
Since starting in January, this placement has felt like true immersion. Not a token experience, not something to tick off, but a real job, a real challenge, and one I am deeply glad I took on. It feels like an ending, yes, but also like something quietly satisfying has settled into place.
I say “quietly” because admitting that I loved it would be an understatement. I truly did. Not only the content, which was stimulating and thought-provoking, but the department itself. The office layout, the friendly faces, the genuine effort from everyone to make me feel welcome and fully integrated into the team. That will remain one of the highlights of these past weeks.
I learned so much. Beyond office etiquette and professional rhythm, I discovered the culture of respect and humour that makes teamwork not only productive but enjoyable. And the content? Utterly juicy for a contract nerd like me. I relished diving into IR35, the intricacies of power of attorney, and the beautiful logic of well-drafted clauses.
Adding the ease with which Andrew, the legal lead, spoke about confusing issues, was truly outstanding.
There is something deeply satisfying about the order contracts offer. Every, or nearly every, eventuality anticipated. Covered. Defined. Written in a language that I now find myself using in everyday life, much to the rolling eyes of my teenagers.
Yes, the law requires passengers to wear a seatbelt.
But saying, “Due to safety precautions, all passengers are required to ensure vehicle body restraints are secured prior to travel, including short journeys,” might be slightly excessive when addressing a four-year-old.
As my time at the top of the building, the penthouse of Ty Crawshay, comes to an end, I return to my ordinary world having had a taste of what could be waiting for me. And that taste has made me think very seriously about my legal path.
On one side, there is the fierce passion I felt in tribunal. The wind of justice felt full in my face. The courtroom, the panel, the structure of it all. It felt like something was calling my name, urging me toward advocacy, toward defending what is fair and protecting those who need a voice.
I had initially been reluctant to undertake this placement. Time is precious. Forty hours unpaid felt, at first, like exploitation. I questioned what I could possibly learn in a workplace when I have worked since I was eighteen.
But after expressing this to Corrine, our placement officer, I trusted her when she said she would find something that suited me. And she did.
At first, I felt that familiar pinch any experienced, mature worker feels when placed back into a learning environment. That slight professional discomfort where your head barely feels above water among colleagues who seem effortlessly knowledgeable.
But the fear quickly dissolved.
The work I was given was not only interesting. It became intriguing. Then challenging. Then deeply satisfying. I did not just attempt the work. I wanted more of it. I wanted to discuss it, to test my thinking, to refine it. And once again, I was struck by the attentive listening and the respect given to my contributions.
I found peace in understanding, sorting, organising, and creating. The questions faced by the department were varied and real. What began as a small taster of in-house law turned into a full meal of contract clauses, government guidance, compliance issues, and legal tools. Dessert was the genuine commitment to doing what is right for an organisation whose core purpose is education.
During my exit meeting, I was asked how I felt about the experience. I could have given the polite summary about learning a lot. But the truth was simpler.
I felt proud.
Proud that I chose the right university for me. Proud that I pushed past reluctance. Proud that I allowed myself to be a beginner again.
Seeing what lies behind policies, behind the machinery that keeps institutions functioning, has shifted something in me. Law is not only about justice in a courtroom. It is also about structure, protection, clarity, and fairness in everyday systems.
And perhaps this is what I have been craving.
Because just as I love a tidy cupboard, contract law offers a kind of intellectual order that feels deeply satisfying.
And I felt thankful. grateful for the time spent explaining points to me, for clarifying what looked muddy. Thankful for not making me feel ignorant but believing I could use my knowledge and apply it.
Leaving with some solid advice too, and one that I will proudly stick on the fridge.
"Don't undersell your wealth of experience."
And that may say more about me than I ever expected. Thank you Andrew and Tara.
And if I need a hiding place to study, I might just sneak in back in that office....

Comments
Post a Comment