Graduation day, not mine but my baby boy's
As I finished my PGCE in 2002, full of hope and ready to stride confidently into a career in teaching and “proper adult life”, something happened.
I got pregnant.
It wasn’t exactly a shock. My husband and I had been together for over three years and had vaguely agreed that children might happen at some point. I just hadn’t realised that some point meant immediately, or that it would arrive just as I’d finished studying for a diploma I feared might now be rendered entirely useless by nappies, sleep deprivation, and baby sick.
The joy of impending motherhood and the quiet grief of a paused career tore me in two. I didn’t want my son to carry the weight of my guilt for loving him fiercely and choosing to nurture him, yet I resented, just a little, having to step aside, temporarily at least, from the person I thought I was becoming.
But life, as it turns out, rarely asks for permission.
That precious baby, who taught me more than any qualification ever could, also quietly dismantled the version of myself that existed before him. Suddenly my career mattered less. Those little blue eyes and that impossibly sweet face became my entire world. Education didn’t disappear, I tried to keep it ticking over, but it shifted. It became the extra income the family needed, while my time became what the family wanted.
And honestly? I didn’t mind.
That little boy gave me a joy I still struggle to put into words. He wasn’t just the sweetest baby; he showed me what motherhood truly is, love that stretches beyond mountains, and a peace found only in the chaos and closeness of family life. Every milestone felt like confirmation that I had a purpose, and he never once let me down.
As a baby, he was happy, funny, and endlessly smiley. He learned quickly, took his first steps with confidence, and filled me with pride at every turn. He grew into a little boy who adored his new sister and then another sister, embraced school, gathered friends, and developed a sense of humour that, to this day, remains dangerously sharp. His one regret was the lack of a brother… a problem I finally corrected when he was 17. Once again, he rose to the challenge of big brother without hesitation.
Life wasn’t always smooth. It rarely is. He faced setbacks, struggled, and pushed through difficulties head-on, including completing a degree that dyslexia tried very hard to make impossible. But determination, resilience, and a generous supply of parental encouragement carried him through.
Yesterday was his graduation.
Not a first-class degree, but a degree nonetheless. And what an achievement it is. We are immeasurably proud of the man he has become, the future ahead of him, and the potential we have nurtured all these years.
Parenting is hard. Yet somehow, being his mum has always felt easy. He’s laid-back, takes life in his stride, and still delivers one-liners so unexpectedly funny that even writing this has me laughing at his most random comments.
But yesterday was the day I felt the deepest pride. Watching him hold that degree, solid, real, earned, I knew he had made it. And, for the first time, I felt that I had too. Not that he won’t still need me (let’s not get carried away), but the completion of his education has freed something in me.
Next time, it will be me on that stage, law degree in hand, reclaiming a pride in myself that motherhood gently nibbled away over the years.
It’s finally time to be me again.

Comments
Post a Comment