mum's pride in the Hydra suite
As part of my Tort Law module, we were given the opportunity to take part in a simulated session in the Hydra Suite at the Glyntaf Campus, USW.
The sessions are organised by our module leader, Karen, and run by a dedicated team on campus.
I’d heard stories from second-year students last year, so I had some idea of what to expect, but the prospect of dealing with a fictitious client, under timed conditions, in a room with people I didn’t really know still filled me with dread.
I understood the subject matter well enough, but having to come up with answers quickly. while being filmed. and trying not to say anything ridiculous on camera had my nerves jangling.
On the morning of the session, my second daughter, who is 16 and currently doing her A levels, had no lecture and asked if she could come along. I could take her to school afterwards and we could finish our days together.
It felt like a perfect opportunity to boost her confidence, show her a little of what I do at university, and simply enjoy her company.
She was nervous but excited. Dressed in her school uniform, with her very long blonde hair and little bag, she looked every bit the classic sixth-form student.
I, meanwhile, tried my best to look as close to a solicitor as possible, nothing like dressing for the job you want.
The campus was slightly tricky to find, but we made it with seconds to spare.
After getting permission for my daughter to stay in the room with me, we began with an introduction to the Hydra Suite and our mission for the next two hours.
Our little group consisted of one elderly gentleman, two Nigerian students, my daughter, and myself.
The session began, and I was amazed at how naturally she fitted in.
It’s a rare privilege to observe your child in the wild, especially in an academic setting, and to watch her rise to the challenge so effortlessly was beautiful.
Each new task brought a fresh difficulty, and she stepped up every time, even drawing on ideas from her Health and Social Care classes. She shared her thoughts with confidence and wasn’t afraid to speak out.
When the two hours ended, she was genuinely disappointed that we couldn’t continue. She even asked to speak to Karen to thank her for letting her join in.
Back in the car, she couldn’t stop talking. It was as if she’d glimpsed a possible future for herself, and in that moment, Law felt like a real option.
But then her face changed. A shadow crossed it. She said quietly that she wasn’t “academic enough”, that being dyslexic and having ADD meant she could never achieve the grades needed.
The pride I felt twisted into anger and sadness.
Why are so many barriers placed in front of young people like her?
How do I show her the brilliant, capable woman I already see?
I told her that if Law is what she wants, she should go for it, and I will support her every step of the way.
It just breaks my heart that I seem to be the only one who can see her potential so clearly.

Comments
Post a Comment