CV & Cover Letter Week: Lessons from the (Apparently) Overqualified
This
week was CV and cover letter week in our Learning Through the Workplace
workshop and lecture and I’ll admit it, I felt deflated.
As an older, mature student who’s been on the job market for the better part of
twenty years and having taught employability skills to GCSE pupils for many of
those, it felt… well, a little irrelevant for me to be there.
But, once again, I was proven wrong.
There is definitely an art to writing a CV, and an even finer one to writing a
cover letter. Only a few days ago, a fellow teacher had asked me to help her
write hers, so sitting through a lecture I’d delivered countless times before
felt almost pointless. Yet, I still learned a few things.
Number 1: Don’t
Be Arrogant
Thinking
you already know it all is usually the first sign that you don’t.
I realised my CV could be improved. It could be refined, tailored, and more
clearly aligned with what employers actually want. It wasn’t bad but it was
basic.
Number 2: Be
Forward with Your Achievements
Your
achievements are your best assets.
Even the ones that come naturally to you like being bilingual, in my case, may
not feel like “exploits,” but they are valuable. They might just be the edge
that sets you apart.
Number 3: Don’t
Waffle
Overloading
your cover letter with irrelevant details is the quickest way to lose your
reader.
They want essentials, a few interesting sparks, and above all, to see that
you’ve done your homework. Show that you’ve researched them before deciding you
want to work for them.
If they don’t feel that connection, they probably won’t feel compelled to
invite you further.
Number 4: Be
Likeable — But Not Overbearing
Show
your personality without throwing confetti.
Even if your hobbies seem “boring,” make them sound alive.
Fishing and reading can become quests for water dragons and adventures in
devouring literature, it’s all in how you frame it.
Number 5: There’s
Always Room for Improvement
Every
bit of experience counts, even a short course, a volunteering role, or a small
side project.
They all tell a story of dedication and ambition in a competitive industry that
values both.
So,
I swallowed my pride, revisited my CV and cover letter, made a few honest
changes and accepted the simple truth: I don’t know everything, and there’s
still so much to learn.

Comments
Post a Comment