The Great Post-Exam Paper Shuffle: A Legal Limbo

 



Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present to you Exhibit A: my study area, which until yesterday resembled the aftermath of a legal textbook explosion at a coffee factory.

After six weeks, a criminal Law exam, a presentation on Juries, a SWOT analysis on my future law career and SMART objectives, endless posters on criminal cases and Law and the State functions and approximately 97 mental breakdowns, I have officially completed my law exams for the year! Criminal Law, Law and the State, Legal Skills, and Legal System – all conquered (I hope) despite my part-time student juggling act. As tradition dictates, I've now entered that peculiar purgatory known to students everywhere – the post-exam limbo where you're simultaneously relieved it's over, terrified of what's to come, and confronted with the archaeological dig that was once your study space.

The Great Note Migration

This morning, I finally mustered the courage to tackle "The Pile." You know the one – that ever-growing mountain of case notes, textbook photocopies, and illegible 3 AM scribbles, doodles of dubious acts that somehow contain the secrets of criminal law. As I sorted through papers, I discovered notes I don't remember taking:

"R v Brown – consensual harm – bodily harm can't be consented to – DON'T FORGET THIS ONE!!!" (Written in what appears to be red crayon? Exam stress does strange things to a part-time student.)

"Is it separation of powers or division of powers? Check before Law and the State exam. IMPORTANT." (Spoiler alert: I did not check before the exam.)

My dog watched this entire process with judging eyes. Easy for her to be critical – she's never had to memorize the difference between Actus reus and Mens Rea while surviving on nothing but instant coffee and desperation all the while listening the Minecraft videos entertaining the 4 years whirlwind that is my son.

The Resit Rumination

Now comes the waiting game – that delightful period where every random thought at 3 AM becomes: "But what if I failed Legal System?"

Did I cite enough cases in Criminal Law? Did I completely misinterpret that question about Parliamentary sovereignty in Law and the State? Was it obvious I forgot how the court hierarchy works halfway through the Legal System exam and just started making educated guesses?

My brain has helpfully created a detailed catalogue of every possible mistake I could have made:

  • That moment I blanked on actus reus elements and wrote "that important principle with the thing" (surely the examiners will know which one I meant?)

  • The Legal Skills essay where I brilliantly argued both sides of an issue but forgot to actually pick one

  • That time I accidentally referred to Lord Denning as "that feisty judge with the eyebrows" or couldn't remember who wrote the Rule of Law.

The Evidence Preservation Dilemma

The big question now: what to do with all these notes? Logic says I should preserve them in case of resits. Experience says I should burn them in a ceremonial bonfire while dancing around the flames.

I've settled on a middle ground – organizing everything into a neatly labelled folder that I will never, ever open again unless forced to by academic circumstances. They now sit on my shelf like a legal horcrux, containing fragments of my soul and questionable understandings of easements.

My dog, ever helpful, contributed to the organization process by selecting several key papers for shredding and redistribution across the living room floor. I can only assume he was making a compelling argument about property, is it theft or damage?

Moving Forward

Until results day, I'll be fluctuating between "I definitely failed everything" and "I might have accidentally written a ground-breaking legal analysis that will revolutionize the field." There is no in-between.

For now, I'm embracing the freedom. I've reintroduced myself to my family, who vaguely remember me as "that person who used to live here before they started muttering about Mens rea in their sleep."

If you need me, I'll be doing literally anything that doesn't involve thinking about law. Unless, of course, you want to discuss the fascinating implications of the reasonable person test...

Just kidding. Please don't. I beg you.

Until next time, this is your Moot Mum, resting her case (notes).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stickers, Police Horses, Inspiring Commissioner and a Spectacularly Broken Umbrella

When Capital Law Serra inspired me...